Pages

Tuesday 2 February 2010

Me and Jim become close

So I'm now in my 3rd week of the marathon training and Jim (my little blister) is growing at a rate similar to a Blue Whale calf. He's a persistent little soul, but isn't causing too much trouble, as he's tucked away on the side of my big toe. As a result I've starting to use him as a yardstick of whether I've run far enough. If he hasn't put on weight, then I probably will...

But back to the training. Weeks 1 and 2 were hard work. Going from a nice little bimble around the park when I felt like it, to a minimum 4 miles irrespective of the weather was a shock. My first real long run (8 miles) was extremely painful, both physically and mentally. But week 3 has so far been easier. I did a 40mins steady run today at a good pace (for me) and felt good. I had to actually stop myself from going further. It's a great feeling to get back from a run feeling great, when it would have left you exhausted and aching a few weeks ago.

This week I'm up to 10 miles on my long run and actually looking forward to it. But that may well change before I lace up those trainers, pad up Jim and work out exactly how far 10 miles is going to take me. I'll keep you posted.

Here's mud in your eye.

No comments: